OK, before I get started with this review and giveaway, I thought I would share a couple of tips.
1. When you go to the store for the few things you need for a review of Hellmann’s® mayonnaise, and you forget the recipe, and you call your husband to read it to you, write down everything he says. If you skip what you think is obvious, you might get home without the Hellmann’s® mayonnaise. And beyond requiring a second trip to the store, it would be kind of embarrassing. Because it seems kind of obvious, you know?
2. It doesn’t really matter if your turkey has been defrosting in the refrigerator for several days, you really should check it before 2 o’clock the day you plan to cook it. As much as your children may enjoy helping you roast a turkey at eight in the evening, your Thanksgiving guests may not.
Not that I know anything about that from experience or anything. But the holidays are hectic, and I could see something like that happening. To you. Not me. Which is also to say that it is a good thing this recipe is so super easy and tasty because busy moms have enough to worry about.
Reading over the recipe, I was a little concerned about the mayonnaise. I love mayonnaise on a sandwich with some leftover turkey, but I’ve never had it cooked on the whole bird before. I was pleasantly surprised, however, that there was not any mayonnaise flavor at all to the finished turkey, even when I got bits of the mixture with the turkey on my fork. It just tasted like sweet onion, a bit of thyme and super moist turkey.
All you need to try this Super Moist Turkey Recipe for yourself is:
- 10 – 12 pound whole turkey
- 1 cup Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 1 large shallot or onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, sage and/or thyme (or one teaspoon dried)
- 1 envelope Knorr® Roasted Turkey gravy mix, prepared according to package directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Remove giblets and the turkey neck. (Don’t throw them out, though. When you are done with the turkey, you are totally going to want to have them for stock. I’ll share my recipe after we’re done eating all the turkey!) Season according to taste.
2. Combine Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, shallot or onion and herbs in a medium bowl and set aside. Then, starting at the neck, loosen the skin on the turkey and spread 1/2 of the mayonnaise mixture under the skin. (That part is kind of gross. Except I have an eight year old boy who thought that was about the coolest thing I ever let him do in his whole life.)
3. Arrange turkey, breast side up, in a large, shallow roasting pan. (I used my electric roaster and piled vegetables up around it.) Rub the remaining mayonnaise mixture over the outside of the turkey. Tent with heavy-duty aluminium foil.
Decrease oven to 325 and roast turkey 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and continue roasting about an hour, basting occasionally with its juices, until it reaches an internal temperature of 180.
Let stand covered loosely for 20 minutes before carving. Serve with hot Knorr® Roasted Turkey gravy. And mashed potatoes, of course.
What is your favorite way to prepare turkey?
Just leave a comment to enter the sweepstakes from BlogHer and Hellmann’s® for a chance to win a $100 gift card to www.cooking.com!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet about this promotion, adding @hellmanns to the end, and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
c) Blog about this promotion and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
For more opportunities to win, visit the Hellmann’s Round-up page on BlogHer.com to read other bloggers’ reviews!
But wait! There’s more! (I’ve always wanted to say that.)
You can also try for a chance at winning one of four $250 grocery gift cards each week! Just cast your vote for your favorite turkey recipe at Hellmanns.com to enter to win. If there are more than 10,000 entries, the prize value will double to a $500 grocery gift card!*
For more information on contest or Hellmann’s®products and recipes, visit Hellmanns.com
*No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. The Hellmann’s Turkey Challenge is sponsored by Conopco, Inc., d/b/a Unilever. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. & D.C., 18 & older. Begins 12:00 a.m. ET on 9/12/11 & ends 11:59 p.m. ET on 12/5/11. For official rules, visit Hellmanns.com.